IT will be implementing a major set of works this weekend (January 23/24) to upgrade the University’s core network infrastructure. Upgrading the core network is a positive step for increasing the speed, resilience and redundancy capacity of many essential IT Services at the University whilst ensuring our infrastructure remains secure, fully supported and future proof for tomorrow’s technologies and cybersecurity threats.
IT will seek to keep the disruption caused from this upgrade to a minimum but due to the complex nature of these works, there may be some disruption across the weekend.
During the works the following services will be impacted:
- All on-campus networking services including telephony, switchboard, remote access via VPN, internet access, Wi-fi including Eduroam but excluding Glide internet services in residences
- On-campus solutions requiring University network access including PC lab computers, audio/visual teaching room equipment, printers and PoS tills
- Any externally hosted service that requires a University account to log into including Blackboard, PebblePad, Office 365, Library eResources
- Communication via Microsoft Teams, Skype and Email as well as access to the O: Drive
- Access to MyDay, the University staff homepage and any services running from those, including student email, the Staff Directory, Webmail, LearnUpon, Room-booking
If these works are carried out to schedule, then it is anticipated that the majority of essential services will be restored by the afternoon of the 23rd (Saturday). If you have any questions regarding these works, please do contact the IT Service Desk.