firstpointFIVE026: Mitigating circumstances

Every Monday, firstpoint publishes our top five tips on a topic related to life at university. We’ll cover a wide range of topics such as making the most of your time at university, help with your studies, working through the challenges of communal living or maybe looking after yourself during exams and assessments.

fpFIVE026 title.jpgfirstpointFIVE026 – Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating Circumstances are exceptional circumstances outside of your control that have affected your academic performance. This may mean that you are unable to submit work on time, unable to submit work which is of your usual standard or in some extreme cases, may not be able to submit work or attend a live assessment (e.g. a presentation) at all.

You’re not on your own, support is available both with completing your claim and dealing with the situation behind it.

tip-01Tip 1: Speak with firstpoint

If you are unsure about the process or have some questions about how or when to make a claim, the firstpoint advisers can go through this with you. We can review the procedure, discuss the possible outcomes and confirm deadlines, so you have all the information you need to move forward.

If you need to, you can submit your supporting evidence at the firstpoint counter.

At firstpoint, we can also advise how to access other appropriate sources of support, depending on your personal circumstances – and some of these are listed below. However, you do not need to share your reasons for applying for mitigating circumstances, we can just look at the process and the deadlines if you prefer. We’re here to help.

Contact firstpoint by phone, email or at the counter – you can always ask to speak in a confidential space, away from the main desk.

tip-02Tip 2: SU Adviser

The Students’ Union provides a confidential and impartial advice service to all students, including those at Partner Colleges. There is some useful advice and tips about completing Mitigating Circumstances on their webpages.

The SU Academic and Welfare Advisor can also help you complete the personal statement on your claim. The easiest way to make an appointment is to fill in an online Advice Enquiry Form.

tip-03Tip 3: The Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers

The Student Support and Wellbeing Service provide a confidential support service on a broad range of pastoral and welfare issues and are happy to meet with you about any concerns that are affecting your time as a student of the University of Worcester. They can support you through the personal circumstances that might be the cause behind your need to submit a claim.

They can also help you to liaise between other departments that might need to be confidentially informed about your circumstances. Contact firstpoint to arrange an appointment with a Student Support and Wellbeing Adviser.

tip-04Tip 4: Counselling and Mental Health

The Counselling and Mental Health Service is staffed by professionally trained practitioners, experienced in helping and supporting people from different backgrounds and cultures. They take their promise of confidentiality very seriously and it is only in exceptional circumstances that anything you say will be disclosed to others without your permission.


The counsellors offer the opportunity to talk to someone about whatever is concerning you in your life. The mental health advisers are there to help and support you with a pre-diagnosed, or emerging mental health condition. Visit their webpage for more information or contact firstpoint to make an initial STAR (Support Triage Advice Refer) appointment.

tip-05Tip 5: Mit Circs online FAQs

Registry Services have a comprehensive FAQ page, with information about making a claim and the possible outcomes.