Temporary closure of Hylton Road today – 18:30, Friday 14 February
Hylton Road will be closed for approximately three hours from 18:30 today (Friday 14 February) to allow for the installation of flood pumps.
The closure will be from the top of Hylton Road, adjacent to the turning to the St. John’s Campus, down to the Riverside Building. Access to frontages will remain. Vehicular and pedestrian access to the Riverside and Arena buildings will be maintained via Tybridge Street onto Hylton Road.
The Arena will be open for this evening’s Worcester Wolves home game and local road closure signage has been updated to confirm access to the Arena is still available.
In the event of flooding
The River Severn is already very high, so it is quite possible that it will become necessary for the Environment Agency to install the flood barriers on Hylton Road at some point over the weekend.
The barriers are located directly outside the University of Worcester Arena and will prohibit traffic travelling between the Arena and the traffic lights outside the McDonalds on Tybridge Street.
If Hylton Road is closed and you are travelling to the St. John’s campus from the City Centre by car, you can turn right on to Henwick Road from the Bullring in St. John’s (turning just before the Co-op).
We will continue to keep staff and students updated through the following channels if there is new information:
- All student and staff emails
- Regular updates to the website
- Posts on our official social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter
- Posts on the firstpoint blog
You can also find useful information on the following websites:
- Flood warnings (Environment Agency: Flood warnings)
- Worcester News (Local travel updates)
- Worc Highways & Travel Twitter (Official Worcestershire County Council Highways and Travel News)
- Rail service disruptions (National Rail)
- Dave Throup Twitter (Environment Agency manager for Herefordshire and Worcestershire)
You may also wish to consult the University’s Adverse Weather Policy.
If you have any specific concerns or questions about the conditions on campus, you can reach Security on 01905 855 000.